Equipping your business with the right tools can help you stay ahead of the competition—even if you operate in a highly saturated industry like professional services.
On that note, enterprise resource planning (ERP) for professional services is a tool you must consider. Any business offering professional services should be thinking about resource planning.
However, to get the best out of an ERP system, it is essential to have an ERP specialist on board. Before bringing someone into your organization, it’s a good idea to have a firm grasp on what an ERP specialist is, the different types of ERP specialists, their roles, and what makes a top-grade ERP specialist.
What Is an ERP Specialist?
An ERP specialist is professionally trained and experienced in the implementation, customization, and maintenance of ERP software. They have a deep understanding of how the software works and its impact on business processes—and know exactly what ERP does for a business. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that an ERP system is functioning optimally and meeting the needs of a business, but they may also be able to help compare ERPs for professional services.
Types of ERP Specialists
There are different types of ERP specialists, and their roles vary depending on their area of specialization. Here are some of the common types:
- Implementation specialists: They are responsible for installing and configuring an ERP system to meet the specific needs of a business. They work closely with clients to understand their requirements and tailor the implementation accordingly.
- Customization specialists: Their job is to modify ERP software to meet the unique needs of a business. They work closely with the implementation specialist and the client to ensure that the modifications comply with the organization's needs.
- Training specialists: These specialists train users on how to use an ERP system effectively. They may work closely with implementation specialists, customization specialists, and the client.
- Support specialists: They provide technical support to users of an ERP system. In other words, they troubleshoot and resolve technical issues that arise.
Identifiers of a Top-Notch ERP Specialist
A top-grade ERP specialist possesses specific skills and traits that make them effective in their role. Here are four key identifiers to look for:
- Technical knowledge: They have a deep understanding of the technical aspects of ERP software. They know how to install, configure, and customize the software to meet the unique needs of the business.
- Business awareness: They know how to map business processes to the ERP system and ensure that the software meets the needs of the business.
- Communication skills: They possess excellent communication skills and can communicate complex technical concepts to nontechnical end users effectively.
- Problem-solving skills: They have excellent problem-solving skills and can troubleshoot technical issues. For example, they should be able to address a delay in the financial reporting process as quickly as possible to ensure minimal disruption in business operations.
What to Look for When Hiring an ERP Specialist
In addition to the identifiers mentioned above, there are two more qualifications you must assess when hiring an ERP specialist. These are:
- Education and training: They should have a degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. They should also have completed relevant training courses and obtained certifications in ERP software, such as SAP, Oracle, or Microsoft Dynamics.
- Relevant experience: They should have experience working with ERP systems in the same industry as your business. It's even better if they have a proven track record of success in implementing and maintaining ERP systems.
In summary, an ERP specialist is a valuable asset to any organization seeking to implement, customize, and maintain an effective ERP system.
These professionals have a deep understanding of the software, technical knowledge, business awareness, communication skills, and problem-solving capabilities that ensure the success of your ERP implementation.
However, hiring an ERP specialist internally can be resource-intensive. By partnering with the right ERP provider, like Navigator Business Solutions, your organization can gain access to our team of ERP specialists and their expertise without having to hire additional internal employees.
This approach allows you to benefit from our extensive knowledge and expertise while streamlining your implementation process and ensuring the success of your ERP system.